Zen Supplements Lutein Plus 20 Mg W/ Bilberry CFlora-GLO® 30-Caps contains Lutein, Bilberry and Zeaxanthin; two carotenoids and an herbal. All three have very powerful antioxidant activity and work in synergy with each other to help the body prevent the most common cause of blindness in people over the age of 65. The most common cause of blindness in people over the age of 65 is macular degeneration, a condition that manifests itself by the destruction of the macula, which is the small central portion of the retina of the eye. To date there is no known cause of macular degeneration, but on-going research tells us that ultra-violet light may play a significant role. Ultra-violet light causes its destruction through the formation of free-radicals that can destroy the micro-vascular integrity of the macula. The macula is responsible for the fine, central vision necessary for reading, writing, recognizing faces and driving a car. As many as 20 – 25 % of people 65 years of age and older suffer from macular degeneration and there has been a 500 % increased risk in women who are post-menopausal due to a decrease in their hormones; this does not happen as abruptly in men.
The macula is a portion of the retina responsible for central and fine vision. The macula pigments are predominantly composed of three carotenoids: lutein, zeaxanthin and mesozeaxanthin. FloraGlo® is a natural source of both lutein and zeaxanthin; mesozeaxanthin is generated from lutein and zeaxanthin within the retina. The dual nature of these plant pigments as blue-light filters and antioxidants has been extensively researched. Numerous studies support their safety and efficacy in supporting healthy vision.* Bilberry is added to provide synergistic benefits such as antioxidant and structural support.*
• Contains the patented and trademarked FloraGLO® lutein extracted from marigolds.
• FloraGlo® is a good source of lutein and zeaxanthin and provides ratios similar to those found in green vegetables.
• Bilberry extract is included for its synergistic effects.
• Gluten free
• Lutein is a member of the carotenoid family. It accumulates in the macula portion of the retina and helps filter blue light thereby protecting the macula; part of the eye responsible for focus and fine vision.*
• This protection has been shown to help reduce the risk for macular degeneration.*
• Zeaxanthin is another important carotenoid that is chemically similar to lutein, and works synergistically with lutein to help reduce the risk for macular degeneration.*
• Bilberry contains anthocyanosides, which provide antioxidant protection and help support normal, healthy eye structure. Bilberry helps protect the integrity of the small blood vessels that supply the eyes.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by The Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.