Zen Supplements Red Yeast Rice extract has been widely used as a natural cholesterol-lowering agent.† and its encapsulated in Vegetarian Capsules.
Cardiovascular disease continues to be the leading cause of mortality in the United States. One of the major risk factors for cardiovascular disease is elevated total and LDL (“bad”) cholesterol. There are several categories of prescription drugs that are designed to help lower cholesterol; the most commonly prescribed being the Statin drugs. Statins are effective at lowering total and LDL cholesterol, but they are associated with significant side effects. Many individuals with elevated cholesterol have been able to improve their cardiovascular health through diet, exercise and nutraceutical supplements.
One of the nutraceuticals that has been shown in research studies to support normal LDL and total cholesterol levels is red yeast rice. Red yeast rice is the product of yeast (Monascus purpureus) grown on rice, and is served as a dietary staple in some Asian countries. It contains several compounds that are collectively known as monacolins which support the mechanisms that can lead to improved cardiovascular health.* It is also important to support healthy liver function when taking red yeast rice or a Statin. Therefore, Red Yeast Rice Plus is combined with CoQ10 as well as compounds N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) and standardized milk thistle for added liver support.*
• 600 mg of red yeast rice per serving.
• Carefully manufactured to avoid the presence of citrinin, a toxic by-product of the fermentation process.
• Includes 30 mg CoQ10, 50 mg NAC, and 25 mg standardized Milk Thistle to help support healthy liver function.*
• Easy to swallow vegetarian capsule
• Gluten Free
• Red yeast rice has been shown in numerous studies to help support cardiovascular health.*
• Studies have shown that red yeast rice can significantly lower levels of total cholesterol and specifically LDL.*
• Red yeast rice supports normal triglyceride, LDL and total cholesterol levels.*
• Cardiac (heart) cells, muscle and cells of the liver have a significant amount of mitochondria and a very large energy requirement. CoQ10 is vital to the energy-producing processes that help maintain normal, healthy heart, muscle and liver function.*
• NAC serves as a source of cysteine required for the liver’s synthesis of glutathione, which is a powerful antioxidant and detoxing compound found in the liver. NAC has been shown in studies to help protect the liver from the effects of drug and/or alcohol toxicity.*
• Milk thistle’s active ingredient silymarin is effective at protecting the liver from acute and chronic exposure to toxins. Milk thistle has been shown to protect hepatic cells and support overall healthy liver function and detoxification.*
NOTE WARNING on label: Do not use this product if you are pregnant, lactating or have liver disease. Individuals who take prescription medication to lower their cholesterol should consult with their health care professional before using.
Red yeast rice is a traditional Asian food that dates back to 800 AD. Scientific studies have shown that red yeast rice can help to support healthy cholesterol levels that are already within the normal range.† It is organically grown in the US and is free of citrinin; a toxin that can be found in fermented foods. Use in conjunction with CoQ10 for best results.†
he first recorded use of red yeast rice appears in China during the Tang Dynasty, when the nutrient was taken to help maintain proper circulation, improve digestion, increase energy in the body, and support spleen and stomach health.
Statins are the most commonly prescribed drugs to lower cholesterol. In a recent Mayo Clinic study, participants received either 40 milligrams (mg) of Zocor (simvastatin) daily or a lifestyle medication regime that included diet and exercise counseling, fish oil and red yeast rice. LDL cholesterol fell in both groups, but even more in the red yeast rice group (42.4% decrease) vs. 39.6% in the group that received statins.†
Supplementation with red yeast rice can also help maintain proper digestive function and support cardiac health.†
Red yeast rice is produced by fermenting the yeast strain Monascus purpureas on rice. In some Asian countries, this rice is eaten as a dietary staple or used as a food coloring, as well as in herbal medicines. The fermented yeast contains monacolins, which are natural compounds involved in lipid synthesis.
†These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.